It was a very eye-opening experience. I guess you have to know Brennen, but in a parent's opinion, he is very bright and a very talented reader. He is reading the scriptures without stuttering or sounding out words - and has been that way for at least a year.
The entire first half of the day that I was there, they did
n't do one word that Brennen didn't already know. To make a long story short, Brennen is BORED! He really isn't learning anything. They are learning words that he knew when he started first grade! I could tell that because I was there he was trying his darnedest to stay in his seat and behave but I can understand why he acts out - not that it makes it right. I can't really blame the teacher either because she has her hands full with serveral high energy kids that act worse than Brennen does and try to entice him to join their "activities." Naturally, at times he gives in.Anyway, we are looking for ways to improve this situation and I now believe that it isn't all his fault. We are looking into the Monticello Academy and some other options. If anyone has any suggestions, please pass them along!
7 comments:
Is that a charter school? Do they have a different curriculum that would be more challenging? Charter schools are huge down here. You'll have to let me know where your research leads you. I'm already worried about that (boredom) with David and he's not even old enough for preschool yet. Crazy that it's the smart kids who can't get the extra boost they need.
I think it is because the public school has to cater to the lowest common denominator which are the kids that have live in adults rather than parents. Yes, it is a charter school. Pres. Summers works there. I will forward you an email I got from him.
LOVE the update!!! Good luck with Brennen. I'm sure so much of what children experience in the classroom is due to boredom. My biggest fear is getting the run-a-round form the public school system. NOT that my kids will be going anywhere else. My nephew went to a Montisorey (sp?) school and seemed to excel there. More arts oriented. Anything is worth trying for your kids!!!
Good luck! He is such a bright kid, Im sure there is a school that will work with his curriculum and keep him busy! Let us know how it goes!
Hmmm, interesting. It makes sense. Brennen has always seemed ahead of the game. Danny said his teachers would give him workbooks to work on after he finished his stuff because he always finished before the other kids.
We now send him to school every day with a chapter book and a notepad so he can either read, write or draw when he is done with his work instead of messing around. Hopefully that will help. He does have a book at school that he checks out from the school library but but he is not allowed to check out chapter books so he reads the same small book over and over and thus....gets more bored.
Jan
Hi there Jason and Fam! Jason posted a comment on one of my blog posts...it's always interesting to see who stops by and reads. It's nice to see you Jason; it's been a very long time.
Great topic here and interesting post. I also have a first grader that seems a bit ahead of the game. He is continuously returning the books his teacher sends home for "upgrades"...material that makes him stretch. It just so happens that his school is the magnet school in the NW area of the district for the ALPS program (Accelerated Learning Program.) I'm not sure if Brennen could enroll in the program at Westland, but it would definitely be a good place to start. I'd suggest giving them a call and getting more information. URL is below:
http://www.jordandistrict.org/schools/elementary/westland/index.htm
Post a Comment