Saturday, October 12, 2013

Six Days of Swimming

While the girls were off-track we decided to put them in swimming lessons.  Kiara is not scared of the water and can swim a little.  Delma is scared of the water because she knows she doesn't know how to swim and TJ usually won't go in the pool he will only splash in very shallow water.  We have passes to a water park but didn't end up using them this summer since 2 out of 4 kids wouldn't get in the water.

The swimming lessons worked out great!  They were every day for 5 days.  After the first lesson Delma was sticking her face in the water and was willing to do whatever the teacher asked her.  Why is it that she won't do that for mom and dad?  By the end of the week Kiara could swim ten feet unassisted and without a life jacket and Delma was completely comfortable in the water with a life jacket and was ok with getting her face wet.  She even went down the little water slide on the last day.  The other awesome thing that happened was since TJ watched the girls in the water every day he decided it looked like fun and he wanted to try it out.  So I decided that the day after their last lesson I would take them swimming.  Brennen had a diving class at 1:00  pm so I figured that would be a good time.  Then I could watch him dive and play with the kids at the same time.  The only problem was Jason had plans that day so I ended up taking them all by myself.  I don't even dare take 4 kids to the grocery store by myself.  It ended up being a really great time.  Kiara and Delma stayed together in the lazy river or the kids area (with life jackets) and I stayed in the kids area which was right next to the lazy river with TJ.  I could occasionally glance over and see Brennen dive and when he was done with his class we played for a little while longer so he could play.  The kids and I had a really great time.  I'm so glad that they are comfortable with the water and we will definitely do more swimming lessons.  The hardest part ended up being getting everyone changed to go home.  Brennen ended up waiting for us in the lobby for about 45 minutes.  Good thing he is a patient guy!  He is doing really well with diving and can now dive face first off the high dive and dive backward.  My kids amaze me every day!



No comments: