9 year old heaven = waders, new fly pole earned by hard sweat and labor, and bazillions of willing fish. Brennen and Dad decided to take a trip down to Fish Creek. The spillway from Scofield Reservoir has allowed thousands of Utah chubs to take one wild water slide into their new home below and they are HUNGRY!
Most of the fish we caught were chubs between 3 and 10 inches or so but every once and a while one of these trout would grab a hold of a bug and it was game on! Brennen and I made a good team at getting these things netted before they took us for a ride downstream. Altogether we pulled out Tiger, Cutthroat, and Brown trout. The only rainbow of the day got away but he was a monster!
It took a while for Brennen to get the hang of things but once he did, he was unstoppable! For the first few hours the main species he caught was fly-line-bird's-nests.
This trout will be a legend at our house for a while. It was, by far, the largest fish Brennen has ever had on the line. He hasn't really learned how to use the drag on a reel yet so I was literally running across the river with net in hand when I realized that "that ain't no chub!" Thankfully I was able to scoop him up before he got downstream on B.
Bren wanted to finish the day under the bridge even though I told him there was really no prospect of catching any big ones. I had had my fill and so I was happy to just let him fish his little heart out until the sun went down. Here's some action shots from his "eddy" spot.
This is what Brennen called his Grand Finale Fish. I realize now how funny I must have sounded in any other situation. "Just 10 more fish Bren, and then we really have to go." He had been catching little 5 inch Chubbies for about an hour - one nearly every cast. He said that he wanted to try and catch a bigger one for his Grand Finale. I'm sure glad this fish cooperated. Days like this can't be purchased. What a wonderful memory we will both have, forever. Love ya, B.
No comments:
Post a Comment