![]() |
Delma and I go for a walk to meet the kids as they are walking home from school, yesterday Kiara ran up to me and was very upset. She said that she was not going back to school and that a kid choked her and tried to scratch her eyes out. Her face was all red and she has claw marks by her eyes. She said the kid was not in her class so I assumed it was a first grader since they share the playground with the first graders. The next morning she was still saying she was scared and was not going to go to school (she goes in the afternoon). So I went to the school in the morning before school starts to talk to her teacher about what had happened. (I swear I saw the office people sigh as I walked in the front door and headed toword her class) Her teacher was not surprised to see me and said she did not blame Kiara for not wanting to come back and that she is not surprised. After hearing the whole story I am a little (ok a lot) irritated that the teacher didn't call me after school to tell me what happened.
So what happened is the kid that attacked her is one of the special ed kids and is either a first or second grader. (there was a similar incident when Brennen was in kindergarten where a much older special ed kid was pushing and kicking the kids while they were lined up...grrrrr!!!!) Her teacher said this kid is either a first or second grader and has never been aggressive before but when he sees Kiara he goes crazy and attacks her. He will single her out and not bother any of the other kids. (she was scratched on the hand earlier this week and had claw marks on the back of her hand) So yesterday this kid attacked her 3 times!
After the 2nd time her and her cousin Natalie went to tell her teacher and the teacher asked her to show her who was bothering her. So she took her teacher over to the kid and while the teacher was talking to him he leaned over like he was going to give Kiara a hug then he grabbed her around the neck started choking her, scratching at her eyes and ramming her head into the playground equipment. The teacher had to pull him off of her and two other adults came over to help. Her teacher said they filed a report on the kid (whatever that means) and that he will not be allowed to go out to recess the same time as her anymore. The special ed kids ages kindergarten through 3rd grade go out to recess with the kindergartners and first graders. I have never really understood or agreed with this. The teacher also said that when the class goes for walks outside or down the hall or wherever that she will have Kiara walk in the front of the line with her and hold her hand in case they run into him. So I am glad they are doing something but I feel bad that Kiara has to walk around being careful and trying to avoid him. He could have hurt her very badly. Her teacher said that if she is scared she can stay inside for recess if she wants to. But that makes me sad because she loves recess (they have a really awesome playground). I told her teacher to call me if it happens again or if she is acting upset or having a hard time at school today and we will come and pick her up.
Last night we practiced with Kiara on how she should scream and flail her elbows if someone attacks her. Then run away. I'm just really frustrated by the whole thing. Especially since there were incidents with the special Ed kids when Brennen was in kindergarten and that they didn't call us yesterday after this happened.
This hits really close to home because when my younger sister was in 1st grade a much older girl started tormenting her at school. Scratching up her face and pulling her hair out. Grabbing her and locking her in the a bathroom stall while she did this. She was terrified to go to school and the sollution ended up being that my sister had to eat lunch with the lunch lady then stay in from recesses and was not allowed to go anywhere by herself. My older sister and I were excused from class 5 minutes early at the end of the day to go to her class and escort her to the bus. I don't want Kiara to have to walk around being afraid and having to hold the teachers hand whenever she leaves the classroom.
On a good note Brennen is doing really great! He loves his teacher and is enjoying school and behaving really well. He typically doesn't get a single bad mark on his daily report.

2 comments:
Holy Moly, that is awful! Completely unacceptable. That makes me really angry. I can't believe they didn't call you right after it happened, especially after they saw the kid attack her right in front of them! I don't think that "special ed" (retard) should be allowed out to recess at all with any kids. That makes me so mad!!!
It seems to me that the special ed kid is the one who should be punished with no recess. Same with your sister's bully. They're punishing the wrong child.
Post a Comment