Monday, October 20, 2014

Bedtime Routine

Our bedtime routine is quite complicated and sometimes seems to take forever.  On school nights we usually start at about 7:45 pm.  If it's a bath night then we start taking turns with baths at about 7:00 pm.

After everyone has their pj's on we gather at the kitchen table and read scriptures, take vitamins and sometimes have a small snack.

After scriptures we move to the living room where someone (whoever's turn it is) picks  a song out of the children's hymn book.  Brennen takes a few minutes to figure out the music on his bass and I get out TJ's little piano.  Then we gather around and sing the song a few times.  This is my favorite part!  It's been so fun and everyone really enjoys it.  It's also a good way to get Brennen to practice his bass.

After singing the song then we kneel down as a family and say a prayer.

After that Jason and I have to give the younger kids a piggy back ride up the stairs, if they were reverent during the prayer.

Then it's time to brush teeth.

After teeth brushing Jason and I trade off every other night one of us reading with the girls and one of us reading with TJ.  But first...TJ has to gather up the girls' and his water bottles and fill it up and deliver it to their bedsides.  He loves this part and call himself "the water boy".

After stories are read and TJ is tucked in we usually let the girls stay up a little later to read some more.

During story time with the little kids Brennen feeds the lizards, salamanders, frogs and fish then does his physical therapy for his feet.

After all this is done it's finally time to relax for the day.  If we are lucky we have time to watch the Amazing Race or some other show with Brennen before he heads off to shower, read and go to bed.

As you can imagine on the nights when for one reason or another Jason or I is not home it is quite the task to get all this done by yourself.  Up and down the stairs 3 times for piggy back rides!  Then reading time with all 3 of them.

It takes a lot of work but I LOVE our bedtime routine and I know some day I will miss it sooo much!


No comments: