Saturday, March 3, 2018

Lamb of God

 This year Lamb of God was incredibly special and incredibly difficult.  Rob Gardner who composed the Lamb of God was able to come to one of the concerts and meet with the group for a devotional beforehand.  It was incredibly moving and special.  A few days before the first weekend of concerts Jason got the flu and was incredibly sick, we tried every remedy and he was not getting any better.  He missed the tech rehearsal concert and was still not feeling any better for the day of the performance.  He was given a blessing and even though he was still sick he went.  Amazingly while he got on stage to conduct he felt the spirit so strongly that he was able to conduct and the concert was beautiful.  Many of those performing said they could feel the spirit so strongly.  It was such an amazing moment for so many people and such a faith building experience.

This is Jason's journal entry about his experience...

This year, in a very real way, I was physically healed through being a part of Lamb of God.  Shortly before performances, I came down with a very severe flu.  For two weeks I was basically flat on my back.  With Witness, we would open our Thursday dress/tech rehearsal to audience members.  When we approached the Thursday open rehearsal and it sunk in that I would be unable to conduct, my heart broke and felt like I was letting everyone down.  Shane Mickelsen stepped in to conduct that night.  Wednesday night I had asked for a blessing from my home teachers and I sat in that chair thinking to myself, “just say the word ‘healed’ and my faith will take care of the rest.”  In a way, very presumptuous, I know.  However, little did I know that God had something more powerful in mind for me.  

Needless to say, the word “healed” was not used in the blessing but the word “patience” was used several times.  So, after missing our soft open on Thursday, I told myself that I was not going to miss another performance no matter how terrible I felt.  I slept most of the day hoping to conserve just enough energy to finish the work I was supposed to do by leading our group through a successful performance.  I had a friend drive me to the performance. I was too weak to drive myself.  I slept most of the way there.  I sat on a chair backstage, feeling pretty miserable, until it was time for me to go onstage.  I remember thinking after “Hosanna”  that I was not going to make it through and that I was going to have to find Shane to take over.  I don’t remember much about movement seven, “The Last Supper.”  I remember when we got to movement eight, “Gethsemane,” I began by praying and committing that I was going to give this movement everything I had - all of my remaining energy - and leave it in the hands of the Lord.  I remember vocalizing with the choir as my own personal cry to God, “O Abba!”

In that moment of silence that follows, I felt something indescribable happen to me.  I felt as if I was handed my “weight” back - as if I was being carried and didn’t know it.  I felt it from my head to my heels.  I also felt something I hadn’t felt for a couple of weeks: strength.  I felt my color return and my energy revive.  In short, I was healed.  What a miracle!

It was a fascinating experience for me.  Also one I learned a great deal from.  God didn't heal me to perfect health.  I was still overweight, still had all of my faults but, I was healed as far as I needed to be healed to finish my work through the rest of our performances.  My voice was still “off” and I was still a bit congested but I was healed enough to accomplish what I had been called to do.  It is an experience I will never forget.


Our at home remedy that did not kill the flu













Jason set up camp to rest in during shows






No comments: